After reviewing this week’s resources, you will write a paper in which you explain salient elements associated with high incidence disabilities: learning disabilities, emotional or behavioral disabilities, speech and language disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. For each of these four high incidence disabilities, provide the following information with corresponding citations to support your writing:
- The basic definition. You will find there are many definitions in practice such as legal definitions, medical definitions, or educational definitions. Whichever definition you choose, describe the definition in your own words.
- Prevalence rate in schools. Because you are exploring high incidence disabilities, you may find prevalence rates higher than you might expect. Prevalence rates might be expressed in numbers or percentages.
- A brief description of the IDEA eligibility criteria.
- Two to three characteristics commonly seen in children diagnosed with a specific disability.
- Two or three research-based or evidence-based instructional strategies for use with children diagnosed with the disability. At least one strategy should demonstrate collaboration between special education and general education staff.
Length: 4-6 pages, excluding title and reference pages
References: Include a minimum of four scholarly resources.
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course. The writing should integrate scholarly resources, reflect academic expectations and current APA standards, and adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.
When applicable, conduct a Turnitin pre-check and then upload your completed assignment and click the Submit to Dropbox button.